The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends children visit the dentist by age one, or as soon as their first tooth erupts. Pediatric dentists have received several years of additional training in order to qualify in this specialty. An experienced pediatric dentist will have a knack of talking to young children, explaining treatments and putting them at ease. Making the effort to find the best pediatric dentist in New York City for your child could help set the stage for a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums, but how do you go about doing this?
- Ask friends and family with young children for their recommendations
- Ask your pediatrician for a referral
- Search online as pediatric dentists often have websites which may include testimonials from happy parents
- You’ll find pediatric dentists working in private practices, medical centers and dental schools
Finding out More about Your Pediatric Dentist
Once you have identified one or two pediatric dentists in NYC then you’ll want to know a little more about them. Don’t be afraid to ask about their qualifications and experience. Visit their dental office to meet the dentist and the rest of their staff. Do they interact well with your child, and does your child seemed comfortable and at ease? Is the office child oriented, and is the dentist friendly and accessible and willing to answer all your questions? Ask about the type of treatments offered at the dental office, as it should include the following:
- Education on diet
- Education on the proper care of baby teeth
- Education for kids and teens on how to look after their teeth
- Routine exams and risk assessments for cavities
- Knowledge on how to deal with oral habits such as thumbsucking and pacifier use
- Preventive dental care including dental sealants and fluoride treatments
- Assessment of tooth and jaw development, including the need for orthodontics
- Management and treatment for gum disease
- Management and treatment for general dental and oral conditions
Ideally a pediatric dental office should cater to small children, with lots of colorful toys and kid friendly books in the waiting room to help make the experience fun and welcoming. Always remember these early dental visits will shape your child’s opinion of dentists for a very long time to come, even for life, so it’s important to get it right.
Choosing the Top Candidate
The right pediatric dentist will be prepared to take additional time explaining procedures to your child, and demonstrating important oral hygiene techniques such as brushing and flossing in ways that are very easy for them to understand. Visiting the dentist shouldn’t be scary at any age, but especially for young children. The best pediatric dentist in New York will go out of their way to make the whole experience as pleasant as possible for you and your child.